This 26,200 SF library is state-of-the-art in its ability to incorporate current technology as well as adapt to future advances without building modifications. The design allows for rearrangement of collections and seating without modifying mechanical and electrical systems.
The site is on the edge of the downtown area in a historic district with a context of Victorian architecture between 1860 and 1920. Adjacent to the building location is a park with mature trees, City Hall and a Community Recreation Center. The library was designed in context with the historic downtown architecture. An additional challenge to the design was the fact that the building is located on a grade differential of approximately fourteen feet.